Friday 1 August 2014

How the flower fell in love with the bee- My take on personification

Personification is one of the most fascinating literary devices used in poems. For all those out there who don't know what personification is, well, it's a device used in literature where an object, animal or any living or non-living thing is given the emotions of a human. Though I have been writing poems for a long time, I've never experimented with any literary device let alone personification.
As a favour to a friend, I wrote this poem, with the basic idea of giving a poetic view to unsuccessful love stories. This is how it goes...

How the flower fell in love with the bee

I was a lonely flower
Sucked into my world.
Searching for my one true lover
I started losing hope.

Then one day from the plant nearby
I found someone worth the wait.
Talking to him, I felt that he was my guy
But he just took me as bait.

Drowned in depression with no one to help
I was searching for a new life I couldn't find.
One day I felt my time was up
And I'd just wither away in time.

Then one day, like an angel from god
A buzzing sound woke me up.
It was a bee from the backyard
Who got my life back on top.

As days passed on
He'd always help me with everything.
I knew this was the break of a new dawn
But I had petals and he had wings.

Deep down I knew we'd never be together
Our differences were too wide.
I knew he'd be a friend forever
But I never wanted that feeling to hide.

That one day, I'll never forget
The sun was bright and the sky was clear.
He buzzed up to me and said he'd regret
If he didn't tell me and get over his fear.

And that was when a flower
Fell in love with a bee.
They knew they were doomed forever
But their love was much more to them
They'd never let anything come between

The basic rhyme scheme here is ABAB. The flower and the bee are personified as doomed lovers, never to be together because of their differences.







1 comment:

  1. Lovely- great imagery- I could actually see the scene in front of me. Was there a need to demystify the flower and the bee in the last verse? Leaving some unsaid part opens it up for more interpretation as poetry, by nature, is a language of code!

    ReplyDelete