Wednesday 17 December 2014

The Young Statesmen's Meet- My first MUN

Dear readers, after a long break I'm back in action with a review about my own experience of an MUN. For all those who don't know what an MUN is, it's basically a school version of the proceedings held in the UN. Schools conduct these Mock United Nations all across the world and our school had it's second inter-school MUN from 15th-17th December 2014.

The committees for this year's session were, the Eichmann Trial, the Bandung Conference, the Formation of USSR, Chernobyl Accident and the State Reorganisation Commission. Students could either take part as delegates and represent countries in one of these committees, or be reports and play the role of the International Press, or be part of the photography group. I was chosen in the International Press as a reporter for the Bandung Conference.

A quick recap on the conference- Afro-Asian countries who had recently gained freedom from colonialism came together in a conference in Bandung, Indonesia to discuss about good economic and cultural relations with one another. This conference was held in 1955 and the students here were to recreate the whole conference. The IP (international press) had to give articles for the daily newsletter. So, right from day one, we were bombarded with debates and other discussions and were expected to write articles and opinion-based editorials during the day and submit it by lunch time. By day two, we sort of got a hang of choosing topics and submitting them on time. Day three was all about interviews and press conferences. The State Reorganisation Commission held a press conference which later influenced the debate! In all other committees, delegates who were worth interviewing were asked questions and these interviews were then published in our newsletter.

It being my first MUN, I didn't know what to expect! I had no idea how to write reports or interviews and was very scared at first. Then, as the writing set in, I got a good idea of what was asked and delivered pretty good results. In the end, the experience was all positive. I got to learn so much about our history and politics, rethink about ideas and decisions taken years ago and write on topics that I wasn't very familiar with. Even though I didn't win any award, I took back a bunch of amazing memories, made some friends who'll stay in touch and had a total blast! But, the one thing I'm sure of after this MUN, is that I'm not going to stop writing because this is just the beginning.


No comments:

Post a Comment