Thursday 19 November 2015

The Tale of the Ancient Immortal

Going into a poetic frenzy is the best time of your life. Here's another poem, inspired by Walt Whitman's 'Voice of the rain'.

The tale of the ancient immortal 

I open my eyes and see,
A vast expanse of water around me. 
I'm one of the millions found in here, 
But I know not what to expect 
For me and my peers. 

I feel like I'm drifting, drifting towards a light.
Maybe this is the end of me, 
Maybe my life was just a second of
Seeing the blue skies. 

I weep and weep till I can no more, 
I give myself up to the mercy of nature. 
I must have died there, 
For I have no recollection of anything else whatsoever. 

But then, I didn't. 
I came back to life as I plummeted down to the ground, 
I came back to the world, to give life to the world. 
I came back as the rain. 

My journey is an endless one.
One day, in a mighty ocean, 
While another day, sitting on a window sill. 
One day, giving life to a small plant, 
Another day, in a field, sitting still. 

As long as this cycle shall continue,
I shall serve nature, as a selfless servant. 
As long as life shall continue, 
I shall raise the earth like a growing infant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment