Tuesday 7 October 2014

A father's reaction changes everything- a daughter's point of view

I'm my father's pet. I always strive to be in his good books and almost always acheive this goal. But sometimes I miss it by that much! And because I miss it by "that much" it's harder to accept the fact that my father is unhappy with me. This time my results weren't exactly up to mark. I missed an A grade in two of my favourite subjects by less than a mark. Coincidentally, or more appropriate would be, unfortunately, I'm taking those two subjects next year. Now the pact with my dad is that I have to get an A grade in English and Social Science which will compensate for my downfall in Maths and Science. I didn't live up to that expectation by just one mark! When you miss impressing your father by just one mark, trust me, being a girl, it's your worst nightmare come to life.

We've always heard the term "father's daughter". Being a girl, your one and only purpose in life is to make your father feel proud of you, be able to get his words of praise and encouragement. Mother will always be there to make you feel better, but for a girl, a father's remark changes everything. For instance, you'll be jumping around, in a new dress, admiring yourself in it. But then, when your dad sees it and doesn't approve of it, all the excitement is drained out. When you are happy you got a decent grade and come home and tell your parents, your mom is happy with it, but your dad expects you to go higher and reach for a better score. This, again inevitably, lowers your happiness and you end up crying, thinking where you went wrong, what could you have done better just to get that smile of approval from him.

But, I believe in going forward and not wasting time trying to change the past, because what's done is done. Now my only chance to impress my father by doing what I'm good at and try to be the best in it. Nothing is more important for a girl than to amaze her father by proving him wrong, by making him feel, that yes, my daughter can do it! When a girl decides that she has to do it right, she will leave no stone unturned, she will go through anything just to reach that height. In the end, when she sees her father smiling at her, with a tear of joy in his eye, she'll know that all her efforts have finally given her a result. In Jim Valdano's words, "My father gave the greatest gift anyone could ever give another person, he believed in me". Fathers always believe in your capability. It is because they see your potential that they want you to reach higher. They push you and finally in the end, stumbling and falling on your path, you reach there. And trust me, the view is indescribable!





No comments:

Post a Comment