Saturday 22 November 2014

Why should boys have all the fun?- A girl's point of view

I'm a girl in tenth grade from India. I study in a reputable school, have amazing parents who love me more than anything and friends who adore me. But by being a girl are there a few stereotypes that still go around schools, colleges and workplaces? I'm here to share my point of view and not to point fingers at people and accuse them of something. It's just my observations and I'm sharing it with the world.

Usually Indian schools have an annual day each year where they have a theme on which students perform. And I being a singer have been in the choir since grade one. So, as faithful as I am, I decided to participate in the choir this year too. Choir and orchestra together give a ten-minute long performance after which all students help in carrying the instruments (drums, keyboards, sitars) back to their respective rooms. These "students" are somehow always boys! I mean can't a girl carry a keyboard? Is she that fragile and weak that she'll be crushed under its weight? I don't think so. If we have women like Mary Kom and Martha Salazar, the world has tangilble proof that girls are no less! We can move mountains, tame seas and can change the world if we decide to.

As much as we'd like to believe that the world has evolved into a better society which respects every citizen regardless of sex, religion, caste or race, we can't deny that the third world countries still lag behind. India for instance has come out of the dark world of patriarchy and has learnt to respect and treat women as equals. But still girls face discrimination one way or another. It may not be something monumental but definitely worth fighting for. If a girl is portrayed as weak, shy, gentle and naive, the world will squash her like an insect and keep moving on. We as girls and women need to take the initiative to show the world that we are no less. We are a huge force that can overthrow any country, bring peace at any war and at the same time keep us healthy and happy. Women have a bigger role in everyone's life than what we give them credit for. But hey, I'm just a sixteen year old kid and chances of me being wrong are higher than chances of girls being bullied and being discriminated around the world.


2 comments: